If you have been wondering when your Economic Impact Payment is arriving, you are not alone! The IRS has been sending payments through direct deposit over the last few weeks, while distribution of checks will begin this week.

Where Can I Check My Payment Status or Add Bank Information?

 On the IRS Economic Impact Payments web page!

Click on the “Get My Payment” button to:

  • Check your payment status
  • Confirm payment type (direct deposit or check via mail)
  • Enter bank information for direct deposit (if the direct deposit information was not previously listed and the check has yet to be sent)

The IRS will be using whichever direct deposit information is available on your last filed tax return (2018 or 2019). According to the IRS, updates to payment information are allowed if you did not enter a direct deposit account information previously, and they have not sent payment yet.

  • If you filed in 2019, you cannot change the payment information you listed.
  • If you last filed in 2018 and need to change the account or address, electronically filing your 2019 taxes will be the only way to update the information. 

If the “Get My Payment” tool indicates that a payment is pending or in process, you cannot change the bank account information.

If you are tracking your payment, you will need your Social Security Number, Date of Birth, and Mailing Address (used on Tax Return).

If you want to add bank information, in addition to the information above (SSN, DOB, and Mailing Address) you will need the Adjusted Gross Income on either your 2019 or 2018 tax return, refund or amount due from latest filed return, and bank information (type of account, routing number, and account number).

Are you a non-filer?

If you do not file taxes because your gross income was under $12,000 (including people with no income and couples filing jointly  under $24,000) or because you weren’t required to file 2018 or 2019 for other reasons, you can still enter your direct deposit information by clicking on the “Non-Filers: Enter Payment Info Here” button. You have until Wednesday, April 22, 2020 to add any child dependents.

How Often Will My Payment Status Change?

Updates to the payment status are made once a day.

Why Does It Say “Payment Status Not Available”?

A number of reasons could be causing this, including but not limited to:

  • If you filed your 2019 tax return, but the IRS has yet to process it
  • The application (linked above) does not have your data yet; the IRS is continuously working to add more data and expand the number of people who can use it
  • If you don’t usually file and used the “Non-Filers: Enter Payment Info Here” but your entry hasn’t been processed yet.
  • If you don’t usually file because you receive SSA or RRB Form 1099, SSI, or VA benefits, the information hasn’t been loaded onto the IRS’ system yet for these particular non-filers.
  • You’re not eligible.

Am I Eligible?

  • U.S. Residents who are not dependents of another taxpayer and have a work eligible Social Security Number: ELIGIBLE
  • Eligible Retirees and recipients of Social Security, Railroad Retirements, disability benefits as well as taxpayers who do not make enough money to normally file (including those who have no income, or income is solely form benefit programs such as SSI): ELIGIBLE
  • High income filers (adjust gross income greater than $99,000 for single or married filing separately, $136,500 for head of household, $198,000 filing married jointly): INELIGIBLE
  • You can be/are claimed as a dependent on someone else’s return: INELIGIBLE
  • You do not have a Social Security Number (SSN):  INELIGIBLE
  • You are a nonresident alien:  INELIGIBLE
  • You filed Form 1040-NR, Form 1040NR-EZ, Form 1040-PR or Form 1040-SS for 2019:  INELIGIBLE

What If I Have an ITIN?

According to the IRS, “you can access Get My Payment […] but in most cases, the law does not allow an Economic Impact Payment (EIP) for individuals who file a return using an ITIN. The only exception is when two spouses file a joint tax return and either spouse is a member of the U.S. Armed Forces at any time during the taxable year, in which case only one spouse needs to have a valid SSN.”

What if I am a US Citizen Living Abroad?

US Citizens living abroad are eligible. If you are eligible to file Form 1040, Form 1040-SR and have a valid SSN, and can’t be claimed as a dependent of another taxpayer, you are eligible. Nonresident Aliens who file 1040-NR or 1040-NR-EZ are not eligible. 

What If I Am a US Resident Alien?

If you are considered a US Resident Alien for 2020, but not 2019, you can claim the payment when filing Form 1040 or 1040-SR with the IRS for Tax Year 2020. If you are considered a US Resident Alien for 2019 but not 2020, you will not need to repay the payment paid in 2020 based on your Form 1040 or 1040-SR for the Tax Year 2019.

When Am I Getting My Payment?

If your direct deposit has already been entered, you may have received your money already. If you still haven’t and need to add bank information, please see the information above, you may still have time to change how you will receive your money. Please use the “Get My Payment” tool to check on your status.

According to Forbes, the paper checks will start going out this week, ending April 24th. The order of distribution is reportedly in order of lowest annual adjusted gross income. The schedule below provided by Forbes, was first reported by The Washington Post is subject to change by the IRS. This schedule pertains to paper checks. Direct Deposits have already started.

Less than $10,000: April 24
$10,001 – $20,000: May 1
$20,001 – $30,000: May 8
$30,001 – $40,000: May 15
$40,001 – $50,000: May 22
$50,001 – $60,000: May 29
$60,001 – $70,000: June 5
$70,001 – $80,000: June 12
$80,001 – $90,000: June 19
$90,001 – $100,000: June 26
$100,001 – $110,000: July 3
$110,001 – $120,000: July 10
$120,001 – $130,000: July 17
$130,001- $140,000: July 24
$140,001 – $150,000: July 31
$150,001 – $160,000: August 7
$160,001 – $170,000: August 14
$170,001 – $180,000: August 21
$180,001 – $190,000: August 28
$190,001 – $198,000: September 4
Remaining checks: September 11

What If My Bank Account Has Changed/Closed Since I Filed?

  • If the Economic Impact Payment has been scheduled, you cannot change the information
  • If your account has closed, the bank will reject the check, and it will be issued to the address you have on file. If your payment has been processed (when you check “Get My Payment”), you cannot change the bank information.

I Made an Electronic Payment (Direct Debit Installment Agreements included) to the IRS. Will My Payment Be Direct Deposited into This Account?

No. If the IRS does not yet have your direct deposit information (on last filed Tax Return) and your payment hasn’t been processed yet, you can use the “Get My Payment” tool to provide bank information. Otherwise, the payment will be mailed to the address on file for you.

What If I Split My Refund into Different Accounts?

Your payment will be sent to the first account listed on Form 8888. If it is rejected, the payment will be mailed by check.

What If My Address Changed?

  • You have not filed your 2019 taxes yet you will need to enter the new address when filing.
  • If you already filed your 2019 taxes, and you didn’t receive a refund via direct deposit, the payment will be mailed to the address on file for you, which is what is on the most recent return or as updated by the United States Postal Service.

Am I going to receive the entire $1,200 (as an individual or head of household; $2,400 for joint married filers)?

If you file as an individual and make less than $75,000 YES

If you file as a head of household and make less than $112,500 YES

If you file jointly as a married couple and make less than $150,000 YES

Amounts greater than these but with a cap list in the “Eligibility question” will receive reduced payments.  Additionally, there is a $500 credit per qualifying child.

What If I Owe Tax, Have Federal/State Debts, or Have a Payment Agreement with the IRS – Will My Payment Be Reduced?

No, with the exception of past due child support.

Is This Payment Taxable as 2020 Income?

No. This payment is not considered income, you will not need to pay taxes on it, it will not reduce your refund or increase amount owed, and it will not affect income for purposes of eligibility for federal government assistance/programs.

What If a Child Is Born in 2020, Is Adopted, or Placed into Foster Care in 2020?

The payment is based on 2019 or 2018 tax return information. These children will not be considered for additional amounts. You may claim the additional credit in your 2020 tax return.

What If My Child Just Turned 17, and I Already Received the $500 Credit?

If your qualifying child turns 17 in 2020, you will not be required to repay the Payment when you file your 2020 Tax Return or if your Adjusted Gross Income increases in 2020 above the thresholds listed under eligibility.

What If I Claimed an Adult as a Dependent, Do They Get a Payment?

Neither you nor the adult dependent (a parent, for example) will receive the payment. You will not receive an additional payment as this person is not a qualifying child, and the person will not receive a payment as they are a dependent. If you can claim the person as dependent on your tax return in 2020, they will not receive a credit in 2021.

For Additional Tools and Assistance:

Get My Payment Tool

IRS Get Your Economic Impact Payment Tools Guide

Get My Payment FAQs

Economic Impact Payment Center

Sources for all of the information used and quoted in this post: